Cindy Knight News
Retinol is a potent compound that yields remarkable transformations for the skin. Nevertheless, improper usage can cause excessive skin shedding and sensitivity. Consequently, Retinol has acquired a reputation for being a harsh ingredient. As a result, many of you might be increasingly cautious and refrain from using it during the summer months, which means you are also losing out on the incredible benefits of Retinol for part of the year.
Retinol is a Vitamin A derivative used in skincare for its anti-aging effects. It boosts cell turnover, collagen production, and reduces signs of ageing including wrinkles and pigmentation. It improves skin texture, minimises pores, and enhances tone. No wonder it has earned a reputation as one of the hero anti-ageing ingredients. To get the best results, you need to use Retinol all year round.
It should go without saying that broad-spectrum sunscreen and antioxidants are crucial in any skincare routine, but this is particularly true when using Retinol during the summer months. This will help to minimise potential side effects from Retinol, ensuring optimal protection and care for the skin, especially during sun-exposed periods. They will also protect against harmful rays and free radicals.
Here is our step-by-step guide to introduce Retinol slowly and gently as part of your skincare routine:
- Start with a lower concentration: Start with CKC Retin which contains 0.5% Retinol, and then gradually increase to CKC Retin Plus which contains 1% Retinol.
- Patch test: Test a small area for sensitivity.
- Apply at night: Use Retinol in the evening to avoid sun sensitivity.
- Cleanse: Use our Cleanse C Gentle Cleanser to prep your skin before applying Retinol.
- Start with less frequency: Use every other night or twice a week, and slowly increase usage as tolerated.
- Monitor for reactions: Watch for irritation and adjust usage accordingly.
- Pair with broad spectrum sunscreen and antioxidants: Use CKC Sun 50 broad-spectrum sunscreen and CKC Vit C20: Maximum Strength Vitamin C serum during the day.
- Be patient: Results take time, and consistent use is important.
If you are already using Retinol, diligently apply broad-spectrum sunscreen and seek shade during the day so you can continue using it at night-time. To mitigate environmental factors, you can lower the Retinol concentration, or skip a day between usage.